Happy times

This past week has been very nice. The Tridium and Easter, good company, open space, a lot of sun, and time for rest and reading the Bible. The “we’s” that are scattered about are usually sets of four people, but with the fourth person varying. Wednesday and Thursday it was Andrea, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday it was Steve, and Monday it was Mike or Steve. I will caution you that this post is pretty long, because there are so many good times that I have been blessed with that I want to share.

Wednesday evening we went to La Jolla and traipsed along the beach. We spent the time being goofy, eating apples and bread, letting free of stress over finals, talking, and then praying the rosary and Divine Mercy chaplet. There were some birds that looked like they floated as they ran away from the waves as the tide came in…they were very cute. I learned what a jellyfish looks like, and that I never want to step on one. (Thank goodness, I did not learn the latter from experience. πŸ˜€ ) After we got back, food was made in St. Jude’s and we ate, listened to music, and talked some more. Then I went to bed, and for the first time in a few months, I did not have to set my alarm for the morning! I was determined to let the rest begin.

Holy Thursday morning, I woke up at the bright and early hour of …10:15am. I spent the morning doing a lot of cooking; in the afternoon, we went out to Mirimar Lake. There is a nice path all the way around the lake, and so after looking at the ducks and geese for a bit, our walk began! There were a few side paths that required a little hiking, and along one of them we found another path that led up to the top of the highest hill. It was absolutely beautiful, gazing at the lake, palm trees, and all the surrounding area. Every so often, I would just stop and look from where I was; the sun was glistening, the breeze was blowing, and laughter was frequent. πŸ™‚ I was amused that there were so many rattlesnake warning signs–even on the outhouse doors! On the way back down the hill, we discovered a field of purple flowers; the three of us girls laid in them, and Daniel had a blast taking pictures. At the top of the hill, Daniel had found a rock that would not break and decided to bring it with him. He carried it down the hill and for the rest of the walk around the lake, stopping only a few times when Tasha carried it. Although it was heavy (I am guessing about 25-30 lbs) and awkward, it made it around with us and holds somewhat of a trophy status. The path around the lake is a little less than 5 miles, so it was a good distance for a walk. There was just enough time to go home, clean up, and leave for Mass. Holy Mass was extremely full–Andrea & I got there 10 minutes early and barely got a seat. It lasted two hours, longer than I remember it ever being in previous years.

I was able to sleep in again on Friday, this time waking up shortly after 9am. The morning was spent in prayer, conversation, and moving my desk. My roommate left for home, so I have the room to myself for a week! At noon, a group of about 10 students met to watch The Passion. The service at church was at 3pm, and took about two hours. Then we had meatless chili and pancakes for dinner; strange combination, but good. πŸ™‚ North and South was viewed, and I enjoyed watching everyone’s reactions as the storyline developed. I was up really late (after 1am) and so…

Saturday I slept in. Surprise! It was a nice, warm day and so we went out by the pool. I moved around a lot, but still managed to burn my neck and back pretty bad. After I realized that I was burning, we departed from the pool. Daniel was kind enough to chauffeur me around to find shoes–an activity that I detest. I found a pair for Easter, but am still searching out an everyday pair of sandals… Oh, well. Originally we were planning on going to the Vigil at St. Michael’s Abbey, but after learning that it takes 1.5 hours to drive there and went from 9pm-midnight, our plans were changed. Instead, we went to St. Joseph’s Cathedral. It was nice, and we came out very happy to be able to say “Alleluia!!!” again! We sang and laughed and talked the whole way home. Tasha & Daniel were hungry, and so we made a short stop to In-N-Out so they could eat. While we were getting ready to leave, a guy started a conversation and said, “you guys look like happy people!” We are, indeed.

Daniel invited Steve & I to his family celebration for Easter, and drove Tasha so that she could spend part of the day with her parents. We left at 8:30am, went to 11am Mass at his home parish, dropped off Tasha, got a tour of his house and the park across the street…and then went to the party. It was so much fun! His Mom is one of 11 children, and so there were many people there. I had an extremely enjoyable time, from playing with the little kids, playing cards with the older ones, playing a nice piano, and talking with a few of his aunts and uncles. In case Daniel reads this, I better say that the food was good, too. πŸ˜€ Steve and I both agreed that it was nice to be in a family environment again. Because Daniel had a final to finish and e-mail, we ended up staying and talking with his family until 1:30am. We got back to the apartments at about 3:30am, all extremely exhausted.

Yesterday started bright and early. Some of the students were asked to do a short film clip for the Diocese of San Diego, and they were doing some filming at the Pala and San Luis Rey missions. I was invited to go along, and jumped at the opportunity to see another place in California. I appointed myself navigator so that I would feel useful. πŸ™‚ It was fun and it was awesome to see the hills and rocks and groves. Before we left the Mission Church at Pala, we sang “Magnificat” and “Salve Regina”. I didn’t walk around much at San Luis Rey because I was getting too tired; instead, we got food and I attempted to make sandwiches without any utensils. The tree that I was sitting under had a very pretty view! After turning around several times, we got back to the apartments. I took a nap for two hours and then got ready for Mass. It was decided earlier that we would have dinner out by the pool…Steve had made rice and lemon butter chicken and a short trip to the store brought fresh bread and sparkling cider. Tasha & I went upstairs to get a few things, and when we got down to the pool we were met by a candlelit dinner! There was even mood music. After dinner, the candles were moved over by the hot tub, and we stuck our feet in, gazed at the stars, and talked over there. Then Daniel and I took a walk. I have learned that walking and talking can be quite therapeutic. Together, they are even more so.

If the rest of the week is as good as it has been up to now, I think I will be ready to take on the grind of another quarter. Now, I am off to clean for a few hours. God bless and Mary keep you all!


3 thoughts on “Happy times

  1. Neil says:

    Sounds like a most enjoyable time, Lisa! I miss you and everyone so much! Enjoy the rest of your break and I will see you all soon–back at St. Jude to enjoy the singing, laughing, conversations, and normal weirdness that is JP Catholic! God bless and may the Queen of the Angels keep you.

  2. Daniel J. says:

    A very fun post, Lisa! Yes, the food was good, wasn’t it? πŸ˜€

    Hopefully this week turns out to be as great as last week…

  3. Steve says:

    “He came that we might have life, and have it more abundantly.”

    Actually, it was lemon *pepper*.

    Just putting it out there. πŸ˜€

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s